HVALF’s Process for Endorsements
- HVALF sends email invitations to candidates in elections in which HVALF has taken an interest
- Candidates may be considered if they fill out the HVALF’s on-line questionnaire, the link is included in the invitation email; no-one who does not fill out the questionnaire will be recommended or endorsed
- Everyone who fills out an HVALF questionnaire is invited to meet with the HVALF’s Committee on Political Education (COPE) for a short (15 minutes) interview
- The COPE discusses information gathered from the questionnaire, the interview and other sources, and makes recommendations to the full HVALF delegate body at its next monthly meeting
- The delegate body discusses the COPE’s recommendations and votes on each.
- In the case of federal and state candidates, delegate body votes take the form of recommendations to the MI AFL-CIO, which makes endorsements; in the case of local (i.e., city, township, and county) candidates, the HVALF make the endorsements.